You can check your PNR status (Passenger Reservation Enquiry) of Indian Railways train tickets and IRCTC booking online easily. Enter the 10-digit PNR (Passenger Name Record) number in the above box and click on the check PNR Status button.
What is this 10 digit number in your railway ticket?
This is known as a PNR Number.PNR stands for Passenger Name Record. It points to a record in the Passenger Reservation system and has details about the itinerary of the passenger. It is identified in the Reservation system by a record locator. The record contains journey details like the following:
- Passenger Details(Name,age,Sex)
- Ticket Details(Train No,From,To,BoardingStation,ReservationUpto,Class,Berth,Quota,Travel date)
- Transaction/Payment Details(Transaction Id, PaymentMode, Ticket Charge)
How did it originate?
It originated with the airline industry where passengers had to commute through multiple airlines to reach their final destination ('interlining').Thus, it was important for every passenger to have a unique identification number so that their journey status can be tracked.
Why is there a hyphen after 3 digits in the PNR Number?
That is because the first three digits have a meaning and the last seven digits are randomly generated numbers to maintain the unique identity of the passenger. They do not represent any information regarding the ticket or the person.
The first three digits represent the PRS (Passenger Reservation System.)location from where the ticket has been booked.
The First digit depends upon the zone of the train with respect to the starting station of the train
What is PNR Status?
When a ticket is booked, it is not always confirmed. It can be in RAC(Reservation Against Cancellation)or waiting.This status is shown against the PNR number of the ticket.
The above ticket shows that the status is confirmed.
Check PNR Status
You can Get your Indian Railway PNR status by following ways:
- Online through the websites:
You can check your PNR status online from these websites.
- Find Train Info
- Indian Railways
This is Indian Railways official portal. It is designed and maintained by CRIS(Centre For Railway Information Systems).
Dial 139 and talk to operator.
Through the SMS
You can Get PNR status of your ticket through mobile by sending SMS.
Railway Enquiry Counters
Reservation charts: They are prepared before two or three hours of train departure time and is pasted on the notice board of railway platforms.
- SMS PNR < Your PNR number > to 139
For Eg:PNR 3045678976
This service is currently available on Aircel,Airtel,BSNL,IDEA,LOOP,MTNL,MTS,Reliance,Tata,Uninor,Vodafone Operators.It is also available at USSD for eliance and UninorOperators.Just Dial *139#.Charges are Rs.3 per sms.
- SMS PNR to 5676747 or just the PNR Number to 5676747
For eg:PNR 5676543456 or 5676543456
This is maintained by railzone.
What are the types of PNR Status and what do they mean?
- CNF(Confirmed Ticket):
This status is printed when there are available tickets to the desired location.
- RAC(Reservation against Cancellation):RAC tickets are most likely to get confirmed by the time of chart preparation and passenger get a ticket. If it is not confirmed even after chart preparation, then 2 passengers have to share a lower berth. Priority is always given to RAC tickets and they are accommodated in the berths which are cancelled after the chart preparation.
- WL(Waiting List Tickets): There are different types of waiting List.They come under different quotas as the following:
- PQWL:PQWL means Pooled Quota waiting List. When u book ticket to a station which is having pooled quota(intermediate station quota) and if all tickets are booked then u get pooled quota waiting list ticket. Pooled Quota is for specific stations which share the pooled quota tickets. They are generally minor stations and not the major ones. This benefits the long distance travelers.
- RLWL:RLWL means Remote Location Waiting List and it is issue for intermediate locations between source and destination station. These are for lesser important stations and have less priority for confirmation. They do not even get RAC provision.
- RLGN:RLGN means Remote location general waiting List. This type of wait list is from intermediate station to destination station. It has high chances of confirmation if anyone from the same station cancels the ticket. Else it will be confirmed once the chart is prepared.
- RQWL:RQWL means request waiting list ticket. If ticket is booked from 1 intermediate station to other intermediate station and is not covered under general quota, remote quota or pooled quota then waiting list goes into request waiting list. Chances of confirmation are very less and it gets confirmed only when tickets of similar stations are cancelled.
- CKWL:CKWL means Tatkal quota waiting list ticket. This ticket is only confirmed when another tatkal ticket is cancelled so chances of confirmation are very low. General Quota may get RAC but tatkal Quota gets no RAC.
- GNWL:GNWL means General Quota Waiting List. These tickets are issued when ticket is from originating station or station nearer to origination station to destination station or nearer to destination station This kind of ticket (GNWL) has high chances of confirmation.
- LDWL:LDWL means ladies quota waiting list. This waiting list ticket is against the ladies quota reservation. Tickets can be confirmed if another woman cancels her confirmed ticket.